Abandoned Maryland
Exploring the upstairs of the Rosewood Center. We entered a room with little to no rooftop. Trees, grass, and shrubs grew out of the floors!

Abandoned Rosewood Center

Update:  The Abandoned Rosewood Center was recently purchased by Stevenson University so over the next several years the project will expand the University’s campus.  It will cost them roughly $70 million dollars.  It’s great that they are doing something with these buildings rather than letting them decay to rubble.  Check this place out while you have the chance although I’d imagine security is probably heightened now.

We drove to Owings Mills, MD to check out the old Rosewood Center mental hospital in one of the many urban decays offered in Abandoned Maryland. The buildings sat there decaying since it closed in 2009.  We grabbed minimal gear and tried walking right up through the middle yard, but a security guard stopped us. We acted dumbfounded and asked for directions to the high school football game. We heard drums and other instruments in the background so that popped into Trevor’s mind.

We trekked down the roadway following the guard’s directions until remaining out of sight.  The woods encroached on the hospital grounds and looked like our perfect way inside.  Peeping through the brush we followed the treeline around towards the back roadway entrance.  Grass stood there head high masking us from the guard’s view.

The decaying hospital sent spooky chills up my spine as we approached closer to the first building. Trevor tried opening a side door, which locked from the inside, made us look for another entry point.  The windows, half shattered, with rusted caged fencing behind them left us sitting there dumbfounded.  We tried prying our way in with no luck until we finally decided to walk around the back of the building.

Leaves rustled beneath our footsteps, vines and thorns grabbed us as we plodded through the overgrown brush. I gently tiptoed up to the back door nearly sliding down the small incline from the wet, rotten wood slipping under my shoes.  Part of the wood covering the door, broken, from earlier explorers, but the door remained locked from the inside.  It seemed our efforts remained futile. Three possible entries all locked down tightly from potential trespassers.

I moved around front and long behold…the main entrance, wide open, behind the broken wooded board.  We crept inside, closing the door behind us, and astonished at what our eyes saw, began recording more footage.  Blue paint peeled back off the walls, exposing the brick behind it. Flakes scattered around the floors between the dust and hospital debris.  Old wheelchairs, toilets, tubs, and other equipment sprawled across the floor as if an intruder just ransacked a home.

We peeked around every corner always looking behind us as we began to march through the rustic steel doors.  Each room portrayed its own unique feeling of trauma.  Trauma from the very patients that once resided here restrained to their hospital beds, confined to their small rooms, left here fighting their own dark, confused minds.  Each room we walked through felt like a new nightmare we entered of someone’s past.  Almost as if the buildings possessed by apparitions wanted us to KEEP OUT!

The door creaked to the stairwell as Trevor pulled it open.  It felt darker than normal as we ventured down to the basement.  Crayon paintings covered the glass windows of the next room before we reached the bottom floor.  Graffiti, a toilet and a gym mat decayed on the floor and walls of this room.  We found a tunnel system through the wall that appeared to connect to adjacent buildings.  We peeped in, but decided to hit the roof before venturing into other buildings.

The top floor decayed more noticeably than the rest of the building.  Trees grew out of the floors and protruded through the slate roof.  Christmas decorations and chairs created a mosaic of green and red colors across the floor and stairwell of the far room.  Graffiti lined the walls of every room.  We continued through a room with vines and plants creeping across the floors and up the walls.  Part of the ceiling caved in and light shimmered through the cracks, crevices and holes where the roof once laid.  We walked through the dingy white door, and at this point the roof gone, making us exposed to the elements.  Trevor proceeded to climb the wooden rafters on the one end of the room and I climbed my way up the door frame trying to shimmy my way over to the I-beam supports with no luck.  I kicked out the wall when I flung down from the wooden rafters making a big thud that felt like I plowed through the floor.

At this point we explored the building and made our way back to the basement to crouch and crawl through the tunnel system.  We jumped up on a desk and stepped across a ladder to avoid stepping into stagnant water.  The pipe system scattered in many directions.  We crouched and jogged with our knees bent just enough to keep our heads from hitting the ceiling.

The tunnels spread off in multiple directions like an underground sewer system.  We finally came to a spot where it opened up and we stood at normal height.  A corroded ladder appeared in the distance. We climbed up it and approached an old, dead locked, steel door.  Nothing we did made it budge even a centimeter so we continued walking through the dark, dusty, dungeon-like tunnel in the opposite direction.

A wooden board barricaded part of a doorway at the end of the path we walked through.  I got on my hands and knees, squeezing my body through the bottom part of the entrance avoiding getting any possible splinters in my back.  I handed the headlamp to Trevor and he did the same.

We both stood up in what seemed to be a maintenance shack.  Pitch black surrounded us despite the many doors and windows.  All of them, heavily boarded up from the outside and inside.  We poked around the corner to find an old saw, a closet full of cleaning chemicals and oddly enough a jug of freshly bought water.

We heard noises faintly, and they began to get louder and creep us out. We thought security may have found us, but after ten minutes of sitting in the dark room with no lights on and no sudden movements or talking, we realized nothing was there.

We quickly exited the tunnel system and crept over to the next building. By this time the sun began to set and daylight winded down. We hugged the building and hid behind the trees as we tried to find an entry point to the second building at the Abandoned Rosewood Center. We walked up the metal stairwell and noticed a window on the second story propped open with a stick.

Trevor climbed over the fence and crimped the stone wall, wiggling his body foot by foot towards the windowsill. Once reaching the window he grabbed the inside and pulled himself up making it look like an easy maneuver. I still felt like shit, but followed his lead. My body shaking, holding on with every last bit of energy, reached the window and quickly dove in, pulling myself up with the help of Trevor’s hand.

We finally got into the building and began to walk around exploring the new rooms. More decaying furniture sat around, but the light began to dissipate, making it hard to see. We continued on gaining access to the roof and snapping a few photos of what lied below!

Exploring the Rosewood Center in Abandoned Maryland – Below is a video of our adventure through the Abandoned Rosewood Center in Maryland.

Directions to The Rosewood Center – 200 Rosewood Lane, Owings Mills, MD


  1. We drove past the entrance road and parked at the little parking lot on the right. It looked like an apartment complex I think? There was a basketball court. We walked in the woods, if facing the complex, they were on the left of the entrance road.

  2. Hi there! I LOVED reading your blog on Rosewood! Your pictures are awesome. A friend of mine and I are totally fascinated with this place and are planning on trying to go explore it. Can you tell me where you parked/which direction you walked in from? Any chance you were by the jemicy school?

  3. Also check out Abandoned Maryland’s Forest Haven Asylum in Laurel, MD. I did not think it was quite as good as the Abandoned Rosewood Center in Owings Mills, MD, but it’s worth checking out nonetheless, if in the area. Safe explorations!