We woke up in Dighton Park.  That night I just slept in my sleeping bag with a few layers on since it dropped into the 40s.  The pavilion covered us so I did not need my bivy sack.  We prepped our gear and looked around for a restaurant, but these towns lack them due to the small population.  So we settled for Kwik Stop.  I bought the usual NOS, trail mix, a sandwich and bread.  We hung out there until the temperature rose into the high 50s and planned our route for the day with our destination being Tribune.

We hit the road around 10 AM and busted out 23 miles with relative ease.  The cross winds died down today and only hit speeds of 6 to 10 mph.  When we arrived in Scott City we found a bar and grille restaurant attached to a motel.  We hit the jackpot, a buffet.  The greasy, deep-fried food made for an unhealthy meal, but we needed carbs and fat for energy so it worked out.  I demolished their buffet grabbing three platters of creamy mashed potatoes, chicken nuggets, pigs-in-a-blanket and fried chicken.  I packed some leftovers in a ziplock bag for dinner and snagged a few rolls on the way out.  Josh spent the next hour rotating his tires and fixing his bike for the 50 mile trek to Tribune.  That’s when my eyes set on the book kiosk on the sidewalk.  “Take a book, leave a book!” My eyes lit up.  I left, “The Birth of Tragedy” and grabbed three books for the trip.  That free kiosk made my day.


We hit the road rather late a little past 3 PM and we hauled ass towards Leoti.  I turned around ten miles outside of town to see two cyclists trailing me from London, Simon and James.  They started in Boston on August 22nd and were on their way to San Francisco via the Western Express.  Their time restraint restricted the amount of rest days they could take since their flight scheduled to leave on November 7th.


We talked a bit and I drifted behind them avoid most of the crosswind.  James did a few other tours aside from his cross-country trip across America.  Touring in the UK became big over the last decade or so so everyone knew of the TransAmerica Trail.  Like myself, Simon was on his first tour.  Everyone loved it, but the shocked expressions on their faces showed when I mentioned I stealth camped for almost a month, sleeping in just one motel and a couple cyclist only lodging.  Most of them barely camped wild or camped at all for that matter. I feel it changes the trip and makes it more adventurous.  We parted ways st Leoti and exchanged information.

The trek to Tribune, fast paced, and minimal winds, landed us in the city limits right as the sun set.  I nabbed some beautiful photography and ended up camping in my sleeping bag on a baseball field illuminated by the hundreds of stars sparkling above me.  Josh grabbed a motel to watch the football games.

I am finally starting to feel like a supertramp.