Go to ...

Brian Cray - Budget Travel

Hitchhiking, Train Hopping, & Backpacking

Brian Cray - Budget Travel on YouTubeRSS Feed

Abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital

Abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital

Abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital

The inside of the onion dome at the JN Adam Memorial Hospital…this place is even cooler than Dansville:  Castle on the Hill, no fallin’ through the floor here…

So we finally took a day to check out the abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital located in Perrysburg, NY. The hospital is located in the small, desolate town of Perrysburg on 300 acres of overgrowth hidden between County Road 58 and its main entrance off Airview Drive. We read much on the web about people getting arrested so we took extra precaution, but for a Friday afternoon for a few hours, we did not encounter unwanted attention by the police.

Abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital

Abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital from above

Abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital

Walking through the abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital with the wife…looking forward to checking out the rest of Abandoned New York

Where did we park? We hit up the Perrysburg Diner across from the Spoon Saloon and ate a few sandwiches, which ended up giving us both explosive defecation. So I do not recommend eating there, but if you park around lunch time and look inconspicuous, you have a clear approach down the roadway to the entrance. Watch out for patrol vehicles that randomly drive down the access road to catch trespassers. If you hear a vehicle approaching just hop in the overgrowth and lay low until it passes. We did not have much trouble finding the abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital, however, we did have a difficult time gaining entry to the complex, well Kelly did.

So if you are one of those people who does not enjoy hopping tall fences with barbed wire, then the alternative route is gaining access through holes or parts of the fence you can crawl underneath. From the main road on Airview Drive if you head left past the main entrance you will see a beaten dirt path that goes up to the fencing. Behind you stands a tall smoke stack and a building enclosed in barbed wire fencing with a bunch of huge gears and machinery and in front of you stands the rest of the abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital. As of July 2016, we found two access points through the fencing here, one involved pulling up the fence and crawling underneath and the other involved squatting and crawling through an open hole. I do not recommend bringing bolt-cutters anywhere when trespassing as you will get automatic burglary charges for breaking and entering, however, if someone else does the work for you then use these entrances for entry and remember your whereabouts in case you need to make a run for it.

Abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital

Heavy Machinery???

Why was this my favorite exploration spot? Sunlight shined throughout the building with a warming feeling, while we experienced cold chills in the dark and creepy crevices of rooms cast away from any daylight. A flashlight was not necessary, but I wish we brought one to explore the darker rooms. Watch out for the floor in some places as it’s very easy to fall through the decrepit, brittle flooring after years of decay. The earth has taken over much of the complex with roofs and flooring falling inward, paint peeling from every wall-face and ceilings caving in with nothing but dust and debris dribbled across the remains of the abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital.

Abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital

Theater anyone?

The experience felt similar to my other urban exploration adventures such as The Rosewood Center, and Forest Haven Asylum, but it maintained its uniqueness in many ways. The place looked abandoned in a day, where they left everything behind. We found Ritalin articles from the 1960’s, old toys and dolls, wheelchairs, light fixtures in pristine condition, and other knickknacks. Bolts, gears, engines, all lay on shelves collecting rust from oxidation over the years. Graffiti inked the walls like a series of cryptic tattoos, with numbers, German phrases and excerpts from Dante’s Inferno, but the most appealing aspect of the abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital lay within its rooftop. We gained access to the roof through its stairwell leading to the fourth floor and I must say my eyes embraced the immaculate beauty cast below. Clusters of pine trees marched on in an endless parade matching their dark green colors with the light blue horizon as a series of cumulonimbus clouds painted the sky, dancing above us. I thought of the people who lived here in the past, spending their whole life in the abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital, and dying, or taking a brief stay. My nose wrapped around the freshness of the air and my eyes around the splendor of the hospital’s surrounding. At least JN Adam embraced the idea of fresh air, and peaceful views to help boost the spirits of the patients here, whether suffering from tuberculosis or another illness, the architecture and design definitely considered this tranquility.

Abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital

Toxic Toys for girls and boys…

We ended our exploration with a brief trek through the theater doors and the center building, shaped similar to an onion dome. Without getting into much description I will leave this for your own exploration. Maybe you will feel the spirits while you wander through the complex, or embrace the history of what took place in these rooms, sinking your eyes into the artwork that once was. Enjoy and stay safe!

Abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital

Rooftop views of the abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital

Tags: , , , , ,

16 Responses “Abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital”

1. July 12, 2016 at 2:26 AM

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. July 12, 2016 at 1:35 PM

Beautiful and creepy! I especially liked the inside of the dome. I can imagine how amazing it must have been.

3. July 12, 2016 at 1:43 PM

It was amazing. It’s a shame they let this decay to such a state. There were definitely some beautiful views from all over the complex. In its heyday I bet the patients enjoyed the fresh air and scenery that it offered. I’d like to think it gave them hope. It’s pretty crazy that the plot of land this is on looks bigger than the actual town.

• Holly Mosher
      November 24, 2017 at 2:14 PM

Hi Brian doing some searching for new places and ran across your story of it. Your videos are great! Hope you are well…I want able to respond to your message. Hope NZ is great😚 Al & Holly

• November 28, 2017 at 2:28 AM

This was one of my favorite places to explore because the rooftops have such immaculate views of The landscape. We are doing well in New Zealand, just looking for some work before we start to travel. I did a little solo trip so far. We are living in Napier at the old prison. It’s kinda spooky, but interesting. Hope all is well with you two back in NY.

4. July 12, 2016 at 2:48 PM

That place looks pretty big

• July 12, 2016 at 2:58 PM

It was big. We only explored three buildings. There were a few buildings near the road but it was too sunny out to do that. The complex is on 300 acres of land on both sides of the street. I’d like to go back at night. I’m just not sure where we would park.

5. July 12, 2016 at 3:39 PM

Wow! Nice video. Glad you are both having fun! 🙂 xoxo

6. July 23, 2016 at 3:09 PM

Good times in the White Mountains with Neil. Looking forward to hiking the whole AT at some point in the future.

7. July 23, 2016 at 4:57 PM

I miss when you guys were lovers.

8. July 23, 2016 at 5:09 PM

We still are from afar.

9. Parker
    May 27, 2017 at 3:44 AM

Yasss, I’ve only been in the main building but damn I need to go back. I almost got caught today so ya know I couldn’t.

• May 27, 2017 at 9:46 PM

Yeah, we went on a weekday and walked over from that diner that’s across from the main entrance. It seemed to be better to do it during the week. We did not have any run-ins with the police or security…there was even a really old cemetery off to the right in the woods as you’re walking in the entrance, a lot of old headstones. It’s definitely worth checking out all the buildings if you can. I’m not sure if you are an avid urban explorer or not, but if you have the chance I’d also check out Forest Haven Asylum and the Abandoned Rosewood Center if you end up in Maryland. They are equally as cool as the Abandoned JN Adam Memorial Hospital.

10. Kali
    October 12, 2017 at 2:13 PM

Your pictures are gorgeous!! Me and my friend Steph went back in i believe March, were active urban explorers, but we weren’t there long. It was a rainy miserable day so it was super dark inside and i kept hearing a female voice that was scaring me. We almost got into trouble because we made the rookie mistake of parking across the street from it and hiding my car behind the trees, a trooper came flying in after us when we made it back up to my car, luckily we managed to convince him that we were taking pictures of nature. I’m dying to go back to do more exploring soon but im so scared of getting caught, especially since on another forum i saw someone posted in May that the locals are now actively watching for trespassers to report. And since we live about 2 hours away from it i’m sketchy about parking my car at the diner in case someone does turn it in because of how long it would be sitting there for. When theres a will theres a way, we just need to find that way!

• October 12, 2017 at 6:08 PM

When we went there we ate at the diner first during the lunch rush and then just left the car there for about 3 hours. We parked on the side far from the window view and we were fine. I think you’ll both be alright. The views from the roof there are incredible. Be safe out there.

• Kali
        October 19, 2017 at 3:00 PM

We’ll have to try that, the only other thing that worries me is if the trooper that spoke to us may have written down my license plate and put it on a watch list for trespassing. I would love to be able to get onto the roof. We play things safe, thank you!!